Saturday 5 June 2010

The Derby

The first sports venue for my new blog therefore is Epsom Downs, home of the Derby, where I was today for the 2010 Derby.

In truth, it probably wouldn't be counted as an actual proper visit as it was more a social event than the actual racing that was being watched. As you can see from this first photo, I wasn't particularly close to the action and the main grandstands, but it meant there was no top hats and tails required!

Happily though, as you can see from this picture, I was not the only person there with a touch of class, as HRH The Queen also was there, mostly for the Derby, but she also had two horses running in the first race:
I'm not 100% certain what having a bullet-proof car on the racetrack does for going and all that, but it was nice to see her there anyway!
As for the racing, well I was pretty much a good person to follow if the bookies wanted me to win them a lot of money, choosing only one short-priced winner and one longer shot when they were placed.
The action did look good though!


The main event was spectacularly won by little run 'Workforce' who managed to set a new course record for the race, a Shergar-esque performance. It proved to be a great Weekend for trainer Michael Stout and Jockey Ryan Moore, the jockey in particular, winning his first two classics on consecutive days!
I think I'll be there next year too, again enjoying the social scene, it will require a separate visit to enjoy the sport more I'd say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sports Stadium Map


View Sports Locations in a larger map